Not Your Average Chick

Stationery Enthusiast & Mental Wellness Advocate

Happy Birthday Ma-NYAC

Hey Chicks!

affiliate links included – see disclosure

Today I thought I would share the card that I made for my mother.  Her birthday is tomorrow and she will be 63 years young.

First, I dyed the watercolor paper with coffee.  I soaked it overnight so it would absorb the color.  I folded the paper lengthways so that I may simply tear it while it is wet.  This also concentrates color on the folded line giving me a darker edge.

Next, I used Tim Holtz mini stamp ink to go around the edges giving my card a vintage look.  The color I used is walnut stain.  This is a neat and easy aging technique.

Happy Birthday Ma-NYAC

For the next step, I found a dictionary page with the word daughter on it.  I had previously soaked these pages in coffee as well.  I tore the page in half and then carefully around its edges,  using Tombow glue I added the small torn off edges to the front of my card.  Then I aged those pieces with vintage photo by Tim Holtz using my blending tool.

Happy Birthday Ma-NYAC

I highlighted the word daughter to draw attention towards it.  I then wrote my message to her using //ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ac&ref=tf_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=notyourave009-20&marketplace=amazon&region=US&placement=B0008G8G8Y&asins=B0008G8G8Y&linkId=73975e62255c5056caa85636af8cc4f3&show_border=false&link_opens_in_new_window=false&price_color=333333&title_color=0066c0&bg_color=ffffff“>pigma micron 05.  Last I used Hedi Swapp spray ink, I choose gold, to spritz all over the card to add some shimmer.

Happy Birthday Ma-NYAC

To bring everything together I used uni-ball signa, in white ink, to add small dots all over the card, adding a heart by the definition of daughter.

I am pretty impressed with the card myself.  If you have any tips on aging paper that you would like to share, please do so in the comments.  I invite you to chat for a bit.

Thanks for dropping by.  I hope you enjoyed this mini tutorial on making a card.

Do you make your holiday cards at home or do you purchase them?

Advertisements

16 thoughts on “A Mini Tutorial

1. ashleyleia says:

It turned out great!

Liked by 2 people

2. So beautiful and the page with the definition of daughter – amazing! 😍

Liked by 1 person

3. skinkittin says:

That tiny sparkle heart is the best. Does the paper smell amazing after you dye it with coffee? There was a little company in Hawaii that sold Kona scented t-shirts. They were heavenly. I bet your Ma loves it. Great job!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you ❤. It doesn’t really absorb the aroma, unfortunately. I have a whole system set up in my garage. I just add more coffee and tea and have been soaking books of paper. It’s kind of relaxing. Eventually, I will sell the dyed papers. The ones I don’t use.

4. amydwestphal says:

Love it! It’s so pretty. I love using newspaper for art. I like to decoupage them to canvas and paint over it leaving some to show through.

Liked by 1 person

1. I have been doing that as well. I’m not half as talented as you though.

Liked by 1 person

1. amydwestphal says:

Gee thanks, 😊 but don’t sell yourself short.

Liked by 1 person

5. manyofus1980 says:

awesome! this sounds like fun! xx

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks Carole Anne. Were you able to get a visual from my descriptions? If not I will make sure to be more thorough next time.

Liked by 1 person

1. manyofus1980 says:

Your descriptions are great, you did a fine job I really enjoyed it

Liked by 1 person

2. Good deal. I do try to create a visual for you. I think of you when I write 🙂

6. Not only is that a piece of art, but what a sentimental piece your Mom will always cherish. I wish I had an ounce of your talent to make something like that for my mother. Truly beautiful!!!💗

Liked by 1 person